Thursday, June 16, 2011

Appreciate and Apologize

... or is it Apreciate and Appologize?

Two words that I estimate I use (in text or verbally) at least 5 times a day.  However, thanks to my friend spellcheck, I spell both of these words wrong all. the. time.

As a project manager, my job is to oversee projects and basically make sure shit is getting done by the right people at the right time.  I like to say it's a career focusing on telling people what to do.  And, for the most part, it's great.  However, along with the perks of submitting to my control freak ways, comes the responsibility of smoothing egos and praising small wins.

There are several ways that I use my two favorite words.  Let's start with appreciate:
Option One (sarcastic)
Dear Client,
I appreciate your effort, however ...

Option Two (sincere):
Dear Client,
I appreciate your effort!


Moving on to another favorite word, apologize:
Option One (sarcastic)
Dear Client,
I apologize that there was a miscommunication, however ...

Option Two (sincere):
Dear Client,
Please allow me to sincerely apologize for ...


I try to remain perky with my clients, which is primarily the reason why I'm pretty bitchy between the hours of 6 and 8pm on Friday evenings at the bar (or, as my customers may tell you, between the hours of 6pm and 2am every Friday and Saturday). 

I always address my clients over the phone as Sir or Ma'am, and always end every email with "thanks so much!" ... so please forgive me if my language can be read as a bit sarcastic.  On paper, I'm doing everything as I should ... if clients happen to read into it and really catch my drift, that's their fault.

I appreciate your willingness to read today's post, and apologize if you were bored. 

Now, was that sarcastic or sincere?

No comments:

Post a Comment